When thinking about these issues directly in relation to existance at school in Ivrea, and a sense of community in the workspace, I came up with the following issues:
- Feels disconnected from the world
- Often too quiet, lack of noise (visual and auditory) for a school? (should be a buzzing hive of activity?... or maybe not)
My original context of 'informative noise generation' seemed to be incorrect in reference to the technical defiinition of noise.
By definition, noise is generally undesirable, unatttractive, unpleasant and unwanted.
Examples of desirable "white noise" such as the rhythmic shaking of the washing machine, rustling leaves, water flowing, rain against the window etc, are then not considered noise by definition due to the nature of production of these environmental affects - they are generated by specific processes which have an order and follow certain rules.
Therefore these pleasant examples of noise may more accurately (technically) be described as something along the lines of "desirable ambient interference"...? However I will continue to refer to these examples as noise for the sake of simplicity - bearing in mind what I actually mean.
Dictionary definition of noise:
- Sound or a sound that is loud, unpleasant, unexpected, or undesired.
- Sound or a sound of any kind: The only noise was the wind in the pines.
- A loud outcry or commotion: the noise of the mob; a lot of noise over the new law.
- Physics. A disturbance, especially a random and persistent disturbance, that obscures or reduces the clarity of a signal.
- Computer Science. Irrelevant or meaningless data.
- Informal. A complaint or protest.
- Rumor; talk.
- noises Remarks or actions intended to convey a specific impression or to attract attention: “The U.S. is making appropriately friendly noises to the new Socialist Government” (Flora Lewis).